Saturday, April 19, 2014

We still Believe (Religion and the Easter Bunny, Part 2)

Grandpa was impressed with Devlin's query about the importance, or non-importance, of the Bunny and the Easter holiday. Devlin then went on, wondering out loud how Santa Claus, presents under a tree and reindeer are tied into the birth of Christ.
My dad decided not to use this time for a Bible lesson. Rather he decided to use this opportunity for a lesson in economics - his own.
Grandpa said quite seriously, "So, Devlin now that you understand that Easter is really about Jesus' death and coming to life again, you shouldn't expect to find any treats from the Easter Bunny. And since Christmas is really about the birth of Christ, you don't have to worry about gifts at Christmas time either."

My dad ignored the warning looks I was shooting him, as there were younger ears at the table. My kids still believe in fairy tales and happily ever afters, and loonies under the pillow. And I was NOT ready to deal with bursting the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus bubble at that moment. Not when I was up to my elbows in Easter egg dye.

But I shouldn't have worried.

While Devlin had a disconcerted look on his face while he contemplated what his grandpa was saying, Ceilidh quickly and blithely stated, "No, we're still children. Santa Claus still comes for the kids. And so does the Easter Bunny. When we're adults like you, then we won't get stuff."

Whew...

No comments:

Post a Comment