Friday, April 25, 2014

Wet Welcome

We don't have pets. Despite the earnest pleas for a puppy, we do not own any living, breathing, moving animals - other than the four that walk on two legs in an upright (mostly) position. While some may argue that having a pet will teach children responsibility, I would respectfully disagree. We had a fish. A single fish. A beta fish, the most lowest of low maintenance pets. Except maybe compared to a chia pet. But a fish that required a tiny pinch of food every day. And yet, the task of that teeny tiny pinch fell to mommy and daddy. As did the task of cleaning out his tiny tank. I do believe a puppy would be more labour intensive than a pinch of food. And really, I have no desire to be housebreaking an animal when we can't even get Quinn potty trained.
Besides, I have a good idea of what having a four legged creature would be like. I have four creatures at home. Two of them eat non-stop. All four leave their toys everywhere, although it's not covered with drool. There was a time when they were, but they all have teeth now. My two legged creatures also make about the same level of noise as an excited puppy, and while they don't chew up shoes, my walls have taken a beating from these kids.
Oh, the benefits of having a warm furry being to cuddle up to on cold nights! Ummm, not an argument that's going to make an impression on me. I've got anywhere from two to four warm, wriggling bodies that end up in my bed every night. Electric blankets are not a hot commodity in  my house.
What about being welcomed at the end of a tiring day by an excited, tail wagging animal that covers you with wet sloppy licks? After all, there will come a time when the kids aren't so thrilled to see me walk in the house. Daddy is already complaining that the television garners more attention than his nightly return home.
There is that, I suppose.
Last night, after attending a work function, I was greeted with cries of "Where were you?", "Devlin's not feeling well, I think he's sick," and "Look at the bump on my head from when I fell at school!". For a brief moment, I questioned my sanity in deciding to leave the work function (which was becoming quite fun) early to see my monkeys.
But then, I heard a thump and splash from the bathroom, and the wet, pitter patter of tiny feet. At the top of the stairs, was a little naked toddler, happy to see Mommy. He had climbed (splashed) out of the tub to greet me with a wet hug, wriggling with excitement, and babbling on about his Power Rangers.
There's no way a puppy could compete with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment