Thursday, July 9, 2009

Band-Aid Solution

My husband and I decided early on that we were not going to raise wimps. So, if Devlin fell down and bumped his head or banged his knee, we say "you're fine, there's no blood, and here's a kiss to make the boo-boo all better". And off he's go, toddling away to the next bump or bruise.

Now when there was blood, a bandage was the miracle cure. In the world of kids, the picture bandages have even more healing powers. So, our bathroom cabinets are stocked with Hello Kitty, Transformers, Batman bandages, and the plain ones for the grown-ups. When I cut my finger last week, Devlin ran up to get me a bandage. I wondered if he would bring me the Dora bandage but it was a plain old brown one.

At least once a day, Mommy is asked to kiss a boo-boo, and instantly, it's all better. Ceilidh even says "thank you" for the healing touch.

Wouldn't it be great if the pains and hurts of our society could be healed by a simple kiss, or colourful bandage? How simple life would be if all the arguments between world leaders could be settled with an apology and a hug, as is the policy we have with our kids? And how much longer can I shield my kids from the ugliness in our world, and live in their reality - where a kiss makes the hurt go away, a walk to the ice cream store is the perfect ending to the day, and everyone has sweet dreams at night?

No comments:

Post a Comment