Sunday, July 26, 2009

Mixed races

Our kids are biracial, mixed race, multicultural, and whatever other label you can imagine. They definitely look more Asian than white, and there are times that Wayne gets asked if the kids are his.
Growing up as an ethnic and visible minority in southern Ontario, there were moments when I longed to be white since there were very few Asians in our neighbourhood. I was exposed to racial slurs and racist jokes. Back then, these comments were not only tolerated, they were very commonplace. At times, I was ashamed to be "different". I was raised in an immigrant home, had many "Canadian" friends, and struggled to find a happy medium between the two different worlds. It wasn't until I reached university, that I appreciated and embraced my heritage, and felt comfortable in my own skin.
Living in the GTA, among many cultures, our mixed marriage draws very few looks. We see many children born of these unions, but don't give much thought to how they identify themselves. For example, I am culturally an Asian-Canadian, and Asian by ethnicity, and I can fill out that little space on the census forms. But what about my kids? How will they be labelled? Will they be called white? Asian? Biracial? Asian-Canadian?
My children are exposed to their Asian heritage through their relatives. We celebrate certain customs and we hope they will learn the language as well. They already enjoy some of the foods of their mother's culture.
As a minority, there are times when I meet another cultural minority, and we can instantly "click" simply on the shared experiences of growing up in this white North America. I wonder if my kids will have that instant connection with anyone because of their mixed heritage?
It seems, though, they are already more comfortable with the Asian race. When Devlin started junior kindergarten, he became fast friends with Ivan, another little Asian boy. I thought how funny it was, that he gravitated towards someone he slightly resembled. Then today, Ceilidh instantly became friends with an Asian boy at the indoor gym. She saw him playing underneath the slides, and went over and started to play with him. Within minutes, she was holding hands with him and leading him around the gym. (Okay, cute that she was attracted to a fellow Asian, but also worrisome, that our 3 year old is making fast friends with a boy and holding hands already!!! On the other hand, she'll be the stronger partner in a relationship, so less worries for us.)

No comments:

Post a Comment