Friday, July 10, 2009

To Cut or Not?

When I was pregnant with Devlin, my husband and I debated the issue of circumcision if we had a boy. We didn't know we were expecting a boy (never found out the sex of all 3 until the moment of arrival), but it's one of those topics that all expectant parents discuss, along with potential names, to breast or bottle feed, cloth diapers or disposable, cut or not, etc.

There was no religious reason for our child to be circumcised, and the arguments regarding hygiene are pretty bogus if you teach your child to bathe and clean the area. So, it really came down to Wayne's argument of "shouldn't little boys look like their daddy?" versus nothing and nobody is going to maim my child. I personally couldn't bear the thought of deliberately causing pain to my child for a purely aesthetic purpose. I had my sister fax over a number of medical articles detailing the unnecessariness of circumcision, plus detailed my spouse about a Oprah special on circumcisions gone wrong. I capped it all off with, "by the time he's old enough to figure out his penis doesn't look like your's, he's too old to be bathing with you. And we could always use the line that you're a grown-up and he's a kid."
Wayne was persuaded, and on June 18, 2004 at 5:33am, when "It's a boy!" was happily stated, there was no need to make arrangements for a snip that didn't involve the umbilical cord.

Well, fast forward two years. Our little boy is talking and discovering the world around him. One day, in the tub with Daddy for a bath, he asks "Daddy? Why my pee-pee has no nose?"

Daddy not sure what Devlin is referring to, asks to repeat himself.

"Daddy, your pee-pee has a nose, but my pee-pee has no nose."
I guess that put a hole in my argument about children not noticing these minor details. But too late now, and the answer that satisfied Devlin was "Because you're a special boy" seems to have laid that topic to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment