Monday, July 13, 2009

Mommy's a Super-hero

Ever notice that when you're running late and in a mad rush to get out the door, stressed out by the enormous "to-do" list waiting for you at work, that's the morning the kids will be crying and clinging to your legs not wanting to let you go?

On one such morning, I tried to explain that Mommy's work is important. I likened my job as a prosecutor to a super-hero. Mommy had a mission to keep the bad guys in jail. That seemed to placate the rugrats and I was released from the prison of sticky fingers and teary eyes allowed to leave.

A few weeks ago, Devlin accidently dropped one of his toys in the lake near our home.
In an attempt to soothe her older brother who was quite upset, Ceilidh said "It's okay Devlin. Mommy will get it. She's super hero!"

I'm glad to know I am held in such high esteem by my kids. I know there will come a time when super hero mommy becomes evil mommy, or unfair mommy, or even clueless mommy to them. But until then, I'll be their super hero and gratefully accept the kisses and hugs that come so easily and freely now.

No comments:

Post a Comment