Thursday, July 23, 2009

Life...as Devlin sees it

Devlin was two years old when he became a big brother to Ceilidh. He went to daycare two days a week, and thoroughly enjoyed spending the rest of the days at home with Mommy and the baby. It was a time of many adventures, including potty training. And, this is also about the time Devlin began to formulate his opinions on how the world worked.
He understood that Daddy was not home during the day because Daddy worked. Although Mommy also worked, it didn't count since she never left the house. If Mommy was going out of the home, it was for grocery shopping. When asked what his parents did, Devlin would answer "Daddy go work, Mommy go shopping."
When baby sister Aisling arrived, Devlin was 4. Towards the end of my maternity leave, I was preparing Devlin and Ceilidh for my return to work. We had some special trips to the indoor playgrounds and play dates with friends. Their nanny returned on a full-time basis, and all 3 began to spend more and more time with her.
As I prepared to leave on my first day back, Devlin kissed me and said "I'll miss you Mommy. You go to work today, but have another baby so you can stay home with me again."
I shared this story with my mother who told me that, when I was about 4 years old, I had requested my dad to go to the store and get another mommy. Why? So my mommy could stay home with me while the other mommy went to work.

1 comment:

  1. awwww...these stories are just precious and hilarious. You're a really great writer Jeanaha. I bet your kids will just love reading these stories when they get older.

    ReplyDelete